Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Musical Milestones from a 30 Year Marriage

Musical memories.  I hope music has played an important part of your life as it has mine.  I hear songs today that remind me of growing up in North Carolina/Germany/California.

And as my wife and I celebrate 30 years of marriage, it seems like a good time to reminisce over what songs bring back the most memories from the last 3 decades.

Song we heard the most when we were first going out:  "That's The Way It Is" - Bruce Hornsby. 
It's the fall of 1986 and this is a big hit.  Seems like we always heard it whenever we were on a date.

Song that reminds us of being at a club for a slow dance:  "Shake You Down" - Gregory Abbott.
A somewhat forgotten #1 slow jam also from 1986.

Song that reminds us of being at a club for a fast dance:  "Midas Touch" - Midnight Star.  A somewhat forgotten R&B band who only had one Pop Top 40 hit, but many Soul ones.  This wasn't a Top 40 Pop hit, but it got lots of club play in the Summer of '86. 

Song that reminds us of wedding reception:  "You Make Me Feel Brand New" - Stylistics.  We actually had a band playing this at the reception.  But I picked it out for our first dance.

Songs that reminds us of the last days before my son was born:  "Life Is A Highway" - Tom Cochrane,
"Would I Lie To You" - Charles & Eddie."  It's the summer of 1992 and my wife near the end of her pregnancy and those 2 songs are getting a lot of video spins on VH-1.

First Song my son remembered:  "I Will Always Love You" - Whitney Houston.  Released in the fall of '92, whenever this song came on the radio or the video on TV, my 6 month old son would become captivated by it.

Musical moment from first couple trips to Disneyland:  It's a 6 hour drive, and pre-SiriusXM, I kept myself entertained by listening to the many radio stations that came up.  But the 2 stations that will always remind me of driving to Anaheim are K-EARTH from L.A (which 20 years ago were still playing 60's/70's classics), and Radio Disney, which my son loved because it got him hyped for Disneyland. 

BTW- album that most reminds me of my son being born: Black Crowes - Southern Harmony and Musical Companion.  This album was released the week my son was born in the summer of 1992.  I remember buying and playing it quite often that first week.




Add to Technorati Favorites