Wednesday, November 22, 2017

RIP David Cassidy

Teen Idols.  Maybe you had to be there in the 70's to appreciate them.  Donny Osmond, Shaun Cassidy and of course his half-brother David Cassidy. Talk about never getting any respect.  You're hot for a year (or two) and then you try and shake that image the rest of your life.

Even Ricky Nelson, who made tremendous records and is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame fought his way through the Teen Idol maze his whole life.

David Cassidy was one of the most popular Teen Idol's ever.  And while he tried to grow out of his Keith Partridge character, he never quite made it.  But his death at age 67, much like many other musicians who have died in the last few year, was another reminder to those of us who grew up in his era that we are all getting older. 

I probably watched every episode of the Partridge Family, at least in the first 3 years.  I had no other choice.  My sister, like many girls at the time, loved David Cassidy.  But while it was no Emmy winning milestone, it was a decent half hour of music and comedy. 

And in the first couple years, Cassidy got to sing some pretty great songs: "I Think I Love You", "I'll Meet You Halfway", "I Woke Up In Love This Morning", "Echo Valley 2-6809", and my favorite, "Doesn't Somebody Want To Be Wanted".  Most of the music a Teen Idol makes get labeled as Bubblegum Pop, but this was far from it. 

Cassidy's solo records, both during the Partridge Family run and after, weren't much however.  1990's  pretty good "Lyin' To Myself", which was a surprise Top 40 hit in 1990 (peaking at #27), was his last hit (and first solo Top 40 since 1972).  But that's the life of a Teen Idol.

So, forgive me if I seem to be mourning to much the passing of a name that most music critic's sneered at in the early 70's.  Maybe you had to be there.  But all I know is what I heard then and now.  The Partridge Family was a fine TV show and David Cassidy leaves us with some very good records.  I'm glad I was there.



Add to Technorati Favorites